Monday, September 8

Chocolate Raspberry Whole Wheat Pancakes


Picture from Martha Stewart's pancakes

So for breakfast this morning, I decided to make some pancakes, since we bought a ton of whole wheat flour and frozen veggies. I found a recipe on Epicurious that I used as a basis, but I made some changes to ingredients. Here's the way I made it:

For pancakes
1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups water
2 large eggs
1/4 cup applesauce
2 1/2 tablespoons honey

For syrup
1/4 cup honey
1 cup frozen raspberries
1/4 cup water

Then I combined all the ingredients as per the Epicurious recipe. So all of you don't make the same mistake I did, I would have waited to add the water to the syrup, since it started out kind of watery (I think I forgot to account for the frozen water in the berries), but I solved it simply by boiling it a little longer.

The pancakes came out quite nicely, and probably would have been even more decadent if I included some chocolate chips. Unfortunately, we just moved to Arizona, and over the course of a day, our chocolate chips melted into a giant hunk of semisweet chocolate. I'm just waiting to make some brownies or chocolate chunk cookies or something.

Anyway, the pancakes came out great. I highly recommend making them - it took all of maybe 30 minutes. If the pancake batter looks a little thin, make a test pancake first - mine fluffed up quite nicely once I poured it in the pan. But please make sure to use nonstick - and plenty of nonstick spray!

On a more hilarious note, we ate this entire meal (and the past few days worth of meals) without any plates or bowls. Unfortunately we didn't bring plates with us, and the ones I ordered don't come until tomorrow. So instead of buying paper plates, we've been eating off of pizza pans and stainless steel pots/skillets. It's actually be interesting realizing what we usually take for granted (like plates). But we've still been eating well.

We made portabello mushroom chili with cornbread the other day. Boy was that tasty! The recipe was based off of this one from All Recipes, with once again a few minor modifications:

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce
1 1/2 pounds portobello mushrooms, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

This lasted us two meals - a dinner and a lunch, and there was still left over cornbread. The recipe for the cornbread comes from Epicurious as well, but we left out the jalapenos, used honey instead of sugar, and applesauce instead of butter. You'll come to find that we make those two substitutions quite frequently when we're not baking cookies, pies or cakes. Using the applesauce made such a big difference - the cornbread was still moist the next day! Well, that's all for now!

No comments: